History of Our Lady Of Malibu School
Our Lady of Malibu School opened in September, 1958 with a faculty of two Sisters of St. Louis and two lay teachers. Enrollment totaled 89 students consisting of four classrooms and grades 1 and 2 and 5 and 6 were combined.
By 1962, four additional classrooms were added and the teaching staff swelled to eight sisters. In 1963, a convent was added to house these sisters. Prior to this, devoted parishioners opened their homes and drove the sisters to school each morning and brought them home at the end of the day.
In 1965 the enrollment was well over 365 students, close to 200 of whom came from parishes in the San Fernando Valley that had yet to establish their own schools.
From its inception, Our Lady of Malibu School has had the support and devotion of not only the dedicated sisters, administrators, and lay teachers, but from the wonderful families of the children that passed through the doors as part of this community throughout the years.
An early school assembly at Our Lady of Malibu School in the 1960's.