In the centuries-old tradition of the Catholic Church, the program for our parish school is now being developed, that soon we of the Malibu may fulfill our responsibilities to those of God’s little ones who are entrusted to our care.
~ Father Joseph S. Burbage (approximately 1956)
Our Lady of Malibu School opened in September, 1958 with a faculty of two Sisters of St. Louis and two lay teachers. The pupil enrollment totaled 89. The school consisted of four classrooms. Grades 1 and 2 and 5 and 6 were combined classes!
By 1962, four additional classrooms were added and the teaching staff swelled to eight sisters. In 1963, a convent was added to house these sisters. Prior to this, devoted parishioners opened their homes and drove the sisters to school each morning and brought them home at the end of the day.
In 1965 the enrollment was well over 365 students, close to 200 of whom came from parishes in the San Fernando Valley that had yet to establish their own schools.
From its inception, Our Lady of Malibu School has had the support and devotion of not only the dedicated sisters, administrators and lay teachers, but from the wonderful families of the children that are here now and have passed through the doors.